Friday, May 23, 2008

One better than a Birdie

As the SMFL season has come to a close I have been playing more golf. What a fun game. I am not that good at it but I like playing. I am so not good at it you might not use the term good at all to describe my play. I try to play below 100. I continue to practice and enjoy getting on the course as often as possible.
I am sure most of you have heard the phrase: "even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes". The premise to this quote sermises that anybody can get lucky at sometime in their lives. That is just what happend to me this last Tuesday. From 95 yards out on my second shot on a par 4 I chose my sand wedge to send the ball to it's destination. After landing it just short and right of the pin the ball bounced once, rolled, and cozied itself in a small hole in the ground where said pin was placed. Eagle. And hence the above phrase. I was shocked. And that is why we play; not to get eagles, but because golf is a game at which anyone can get better. We play for the challenge of bettering ourselves; not only at the game but also with our character. I can tell you that I rarely swear any more out on the golf course. Now that is character building. Concentration, Patience, and learning to look to the next shot are just a few life lessons taught by this game.

No comments: